Wednesday, August 15, 2012


Let's face it big hair rocks, I'm definitely someone that thinks when it comes to hair, the bigger the better! That said, getting volume in my long thick hair is something that doesn't come without the help of products. From left to right here's my thoughts on what I've been using (not all at once of course!)

Warning: You'll probably read 'apply it through the roots of my hair' about 50 times in this post, but what did you expect! It is a volumzing post after all and that's where I apply all the product to achieve some volume in my unruly locks...

Ojon Volume Advance Volumizing Styling Spray £20 (post here)
If you've seen my previous posts you'll know this is a winner for me, I use it when hair is dry and styled, solely in the roots for some added lift as well as an all over hairspray. It has the ability to lift my hair without making it feel overly crunchy. It's exactly like backcombing hair in a bottle!

Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray £18/£38 (post here)
One of the most luxury purchases but one that I know I won't be without for its amazing effects! Sprayed throughout dry hair after styling creates instant lift without feeling gritty. It's for good reason this is applauded by beauty editors and stylists, what I would describe as volume and texture in a can!

Bumble & Bumble Extra Strength Holding Spray £17
A recent purchase after my hairdresser used this and I saw how amazing the effects were! Sprayed throughout wet hair, only along my roots crown of my hair and I could feel the texture it created. It also can be used as a finishing hair spray as it has amazing hold.

Bumble & Bumble Thickening Hairspray £7/£21.50
Again, I applied this throughout damp hair before styling all through my roots in the crown of my hair. I didn't notice too much of a difference when using this, perhaps I'm a little too used to 'feeling' a lot of product in my hair and this was practically weightless, or perhaps it didn't make too much of a difference on my already thick hair. Bumble & Bumble online do have mini bottles available for purchase which is perfect if you're interested in testing products out, which is why I'm a little relieved this is only a small size that will now be going to my friend who has much thinner hair!


Kerastase Volumactive Volume Expansion Spray £16.10
Another product I didn't notice too much of a difference when using, perhaps I'm too used to thick creams and sprays but I didn't feel as though this made any difference to my hair or helped give it any lift when used on wet or dry hair.

Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray £8.50/£20.50
One of my favourites of the bunch, named a salt water spray that I spritz a couple of sprays throughout the crown on damp hair before styling as well as on dry hair for instant lift and texture. All in all giving a beach babe hair effect. Unlike a lot of the other volumizing products this I felt lasted all day and even two without changing the oil levels (aka making it more greasy!)


Fekkai Full Blown Volume Styling Whip £20
Firstly the nozzle is the perfect size for running throughout the crown at the roots of wet hair, which I then follow by massaging in and blowdrying upside down. A little goes a long way so I would be careful not to over apply in fear or hair clumping together or feeling crunchy. Unlike other mousses I've tried I didn't find this to alter the state of my hair. It didn't leave my hair sticky, make my hair greasy or look unwashed. After blowdrying my hair would actually be huge! It gives such amazing amazzzzing lift!

Bumble & Bumble Texture Cream £9.50/£21.50
What I would describe as a volumizing, texturizing and holding cream which formula reminds me of thick PVC glue. A little goes a seriously long way with this stuff, I tend to use about a 5p dollop and run it through the roots of damp hair and run my hands through the lengths of my hair with whatever is left over for a messy toussled look.

I tend to favour products with formulas I can actually feel in my hair causing some grit and friction which is probably why I didn't get on too well with the Bumble and Bumble & Kerastase as I didn't feel it in my hair like the Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray or Oribe Dry Textuizing Spray. 

My top picks would be the below, if the above ramble hasn't given that away already!

Fekkai Full Blown Volume Styling Whip
Bumble & Bumble BB Texture Hair (un) dressing creme
Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray
Orible Dry Texturizing Spray

After using Fekkai Full Blown Volume Styling Whip & Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray

Expect a separate post on lower end volumizing products shortly! In the meantime, do share... Any you recommend?

0 comments:

Post a Comment